Skip to main content

My Simple Lion


My Simple Lion

Raju, was the pet name of my simple lion Charles Richardson .Christened after the famed officer ,who liberated him from his mother’s arm, and left him alone to cherish his hard found freedom.

Really? I don’t know.
Who am I to question my commander.
“He must be right.”

“Am I too timid to reason?
Or am I just like Him?”

The liberated cub was brought to our camp-

They tried to teach him habits,
prevalent in the civilized world of ours.
They planned,
to make that child a gentleman.


They chained him ,
to make their motives clear,
They used hunter-
(on my child) to instill fear.
They barred the sun,
from entering my child’s eyes.
They stopped the air,
from drying my child’s tears.

Every night after 10,
I sat near him.
I tried removing his fear,
I tried cloaking memories,
of his mother so dear.

One beautiful morning,
when the officer’s daughter
was playing near my cub,
somehow, a drop of red blood appeared-
on Her soft white hand.

Officer,infuriated by my Raju’s playful act,
shot three rounds straight,
showcasing his skill at last.
Again something red appeared,
“But I was not sure of it’s identity.”
Was it some wine,
 that my commander drink,
Or was it something,
 that my mind wasn’t allowed to think.

My child didn’t even groan.
And I wasn’t able to moan,
by the fear so great,
That I allowed my son to become
my officer’s bait.

-R.PRAKASH







Comments

  1. Nice. Growing up as a poet.
    Next time, make the narrator even more prominant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Voyage

Voyage The day was bright, the breeze was cool. There belts were tight, and there stocks all full. With hopes high, and lust of discovery in there eyes, They left their homes, they left their wives. They left their kids  and,in a sense, they left their lives. They ventured in the Indian Ocean, The ocean their own, Indian in every aspect and yet so unknown. The crew consisted of men- men so dear, who vowed to accompany each other, till their end were near. As expected,                          Early days were good, Early days were bright, They spent their time cheerfully, forgetting the worries of their lives. But,                                           Slowly and slowly,as time passed (in that watery desert) the ocean changed it's colour, first...

Through his Master's eyes

Through his Master's eyes Through his master's eyes, he saw his world. Through his master's voice, he welcomed his own peril. He had eyes, but was blind. He had a body, but lacked a mind. Without second thoughts- He forward marched, with rifle in his hand. He forward marched, on just a single command! Mesmerized he was, by his Fuhrer's speech. Pressurized he was, to unite the third Reich. He fought many battles, he devised many games. He brought glories back home,and spread fear with his Master's name. But one eventful night, when bullets were whizzing past his side, One came near and struck his thigh, the other came straight, and wrapped up his whole life. Back home, tears were shed, Family mourned. But unanimously,all the people prayed- "May that devil be doomed". His Fuhrer was blind, his Fuhrer was cheap, who sought pleasure, in killing the jews and the weak. ...